- A national July Gallop poll indicated that 78% – 4 out of 5 Americans – have an unfavorable opinion of Congress.
- Most national polls concur that over 60% of Americans believe the nation is heading in the wrong direction.
I think most readers of my e-mail today would agree with both of those findings.
They may also agree that there are two Americas. There is Washington, DC – and there is the rest of America.
In the rest of America, families and business practice sound budgeting, spending restraint and debt management. When they run out of money, they determine spending priorities and cut what is not priority.
When Washington runs out of money, it prints more currency, increases spending, increases taxes and increases the debt. But the politicians aren’t doing this with their money, they are doing it with your money. And the America outside Washington is primarily responsible for supporting their spending and paying the interest and principle on the public debt.
Poor Judgment and Political Business as Usual Have Real World Consequences on Americans
You believe Washington spends too much, taxes too much and has an on-going love affair with growing its power over you and saddling you with an ever larger public debt.
You are completely correct.
And the facts support your opinion:
- Since 2000, our yearly budget has more than doubled – from $1.7 Trillion to $3.8 Trillion
- Since 2001, our national debt has nearly tripled – from 5.8 Trillion to almost 16 Trillion by the end of this year.
- Our national debt now exceeds the gross domestic product of our entire nation.
- And that debt continues to grow faster than our economy.
- Business – particularly small businesses (The people who created private sector jobs) - are being strangled by the $1.75 Trillion they spend yearly complying with federal over-regulation.
Washington has bungled economic policy and it is having a very real consequences on your life, your children’s lives and your community:
- Between 2007 and 2010, Americans net worth declined 40%.
- We are in the 41st straight month of unemployment exceeding 8%.
- 23 million Americans are either unemployed, under-employed or have given up looking for a job.
- 46 million Americans are on food stamps.
- Higher energy prices.
- A dollar that buys less and less – a vicious hidden tax that consumes your buying power.
Washington is broken and bankrupting our nation.
America is in an economic crisis. We have a nation full of business people and manufacturers that understand how to create economic growth and jobs, but do you know how many manufacturers are in the US Senate? 1. Just 1.
America is in a budget crisis. Do you know how many accountants there are in the US Senate? 2. Just 2.
And how many professional career politicians are there in Washington? A professional political class who doesn’t have a clue how to create a proper budget, how to build a business, or how to create a private sector job. Too many to count.
And we wonder why Washington can’t produce sound economic policy or get their spending under control?
More than Ever – Election Have Consequences
America’s hope is in change. I believe we can change Washington. But I also strongly believe that if we are to change direction in Washington – and save our nation – that means changing the people that have created this mess.
Important Primary elections have been occurring all year and more are taking place. And in November, we will have a general election that will determine who lives in the White House and the make-up of both houses of Congress.
Elections are always important, but given the true crisis our nation faces, this election is more important than ever.
Please vote this year – and please – vote for candidates that understand that Washington must be restrained, reduced and reformed, if we are to avert a financial disaster and renew and rebuild a strong economic future.calendar